Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Das Wort des Tages: Hochwasser

German Word of the Day: Hochwasser

Hoch: High
Wasser: Water
High waters.

Hochwasser = flood, high waters, flood waters

So a few days ago, I wanted to go my usual run along the Rhine (German: Rhein).  The nice thing about living in Bonn is that I'm über-close to the Rhine River, which (1) makes for nice, long, and straight runs and (2) warmer weather because of the water. Well, there is a disadvantage - Hochwasser. Now, I have seen these signs before indicating Hochwasser, but the water wasn't that high. Unfortunately, the water WAS high that basically the entire running/cycling paths were in the Rhine. Mind you, this is a major thoroughfare for cyclists and walkers.

I had to run along a major street which actually suits my longer distances more. There are a few major intersections to cross (oh, an off and on ramp to a freeway) and two tram tracks, but nothing too bad. But I noticed that the others who also run in the morning along the same path along the Rhine were also running along this same street.

Here are some pics of the Hochwasser.

Yup, there goes the running the path!

I really like this ship that's usually docked. It's called the Moby Dick and kind of looks like a whale. But you know there are problems when (1) you need to walk UP the gangway to get onto a ship and (2) the ship looks like it's about to attack you on land.

So usually there's a paved sidewalk probably the width of this gravel walkway to the left that is basically inundated with water.

At least they have a nice sign.

Hmm ... I don't think I'll be sitting on that bench anytime soon. I might swim to it. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment